Established in 1949, the University of Fukui was the product of a merger between three national colleges in the Fukui Prefecture: the Fukui Normal School, the Fukui Normal School for Youth and the Fukui Technical College.
Spread over three campuses in the city of Fukui, the Bunkyo campus is home to education, engineering, global and community studies, the Matsuoka campus is the medical sciences centre and the Tsuruga campus is the home of the Research Institute of Nuclear Engineering.
Undergraduates can choose to study at the schools of education, engineering, global and community studies or medical sciences. Graduates can pick from the graduate school of education, engineering or medical sciences.
There are dedicated research centres for nuclear engineering, child development, biomedical imaging, the development of far-infrared region and life sciences.
The Fukui University of Medical Science Hospital was established in 1983 and was later renamed as the University of Fukui Hospital. It is the only advanced treatment hospital in the Fukui Prefecture, complete with a heliport and a 600-bed capacity.
The university has links with 105 academic exchange partner institutions across 30 different countries and regions.
Fukui is the capital city of the Fukui prefecture and has a population of about 260,000. It was practically flattened by Allied bombing in 1945 (86 per cent was destroyed) and was then devastated by a major earthquake in 1948. However, it has grown to become a thriving city, home to several key national companies and manufacturers. Its official symbol is, therefore, a phoenix.