Founded in the mid-nineteenth by the educationalist John Henry Newman, University College Dublin (UCD) is Ireland’s largest university.
Currently ranked within the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide, UCD cites its main research priorities as agri-food, culture, economy and society, energy, environment, health, and ICT.
With 30 per cent of its 30,000 students drawn from more than 120 countries, UCD prides itself on being Ireland's most globally engaged university. It is also a leader in graduate education with over 8,000 students enrolled at post-graduate level, including 2,000 PhD students. The UCD Smurfit Graduate Business School is among the top schools in Europe for both executive and full-time graduate education.
A total of six Colleges and their constituent Schools make up UCD’s academic structure. Its main Dublin campus is located close to the city centre and offers world-leading facilities that include research institutes, archival collections, conference venues and enterprise space, as well as lakes, 130 hectares of parkland estate, a biodiversity habitat and neoclassical sculptures.
The university’s sports and fitness complex houses an Olympic-sized swimming pool and a gym, with a tournament-grade debating chamber, a cinema and a theatre also located on campus.
With 400 partner universities, UCD offers extensive study abroad opportunities which are taken up by approximately 18% of undergraduates – the highest of any Irish university. UCD has also recently opened a new Global Centre for North America based in New York, with representative offices in San Francisco and Chicago. Similar sites in Asia are located in Beijing, Kuala Lumpur and New Delhi.
The university counts three Irish Presidents and four Prime Ministers among its alumni, as well as leaders from the worlds of business, sport, and professional and cultural life. Well known graduates include authors Maeve Binchy and Roddy Doyle, actors Gabriel Byrne and Brendan Gleeson, as well as James Joyce who completed his Bachelor of Arts at the university in 1902.