Founded as The Imperial Women’s Medical College by brothers Yutaka and Susumu Nukada in 1925, but with the reform of the Japanese school system in 1950, it became a coeducational institution and was renamed Toho University.
Guided by the founding spirit of "Nature, Life, Man," Toho University was based upon the Susumu Nukada’s book (of the same title) which shaped its ethos and development into a university focused on natural sciences.
After World War Two, the faculty of pharmaceutical sciences and the faculty of science moved to Funabashi, Chiba.
It now consists of four faculties: the faculty of medicine, the faculty of pharmaceutical sciences, the faculty of science and the faculty of nursing, as well as three graduate schools.
There are also medical centres affiliated with the faculty of medicine in Omori, Ohashi and Sakura, where students of the faculties of medicine, pharmaceutical sciences and nursing practice their learning and skills. There are over 30,000 former students of Toho University who are contributing to the medical sphere within Japan.
There are around 4,500 students, 4,000 of whom are undergraduates and 450 of whom are postgraduates. There is some 150 doctoral students and 700 academic staff, plus 3,365 administrative staff.
Toho University is located in Ota, a ward of the Tokyo Metropolis that literally means "Big Rice Field" and it is the largest of Tokyo’s 23 wards. It is home to Haneda Airport, Tokyo’s international airport and as well as some of the world’s leading manufacturing companies. It also has bustling shopping streets and green residential areas.