Different weights and measures
However, the overall methodology is carefully recalibrated for each subject, with the weightings changed to suit the individual fields.
The weightings for the law ranking are:
- Teaching: the learning environment
32.7 per cent
- Research: volume, income and reputation
30.8 per cent
- Citations: research influence
25 per cent
- International outlook: staff, students and research
9 per cent
- Industry income: innovation
2.5 per cent
Two criteria are to be included in the subject rankings: a publication threshold by discipline and an academic staff* threshold by discipline.
No institution can be included in the overall World University Rankings unless it has published a minimum of 1,000 research papers over the five years that we examine.
For each of the 11 subject rankings, the publication thresholds are different. For law, the threshold drops to 100 papers published in this discipline over the past five years.
There is also an academic staff eligibility criterion. Up until the 2019 subject rankings, we expected an institution to have at least 1 per cent of its academic staff working in the law discipline in order to include it in the subject table.
For the 2019 subject rankings, we have made a small adjustment to the staff eligibility criterion. An institution needs to have either at least a proportion of staff or a specific number of staff in this discipline to be included in the subject ranking.
For law, we expect an institution either to have at least 1 per cent of its academic staff in the discipline or to have at least 20 academic staff in the discipline.
*Academic staff is defined as the full-time equivalent number of staff employed in an academic post, for example lecturer, reader or professor.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now