Located in the north eastern state of Maryland, Stevenson University is a private institution which combines career education with liberal arts.
Stevenson was founded in 1947 to provide medical training for women, but has been coeducational since 1972. It was a two-year college between 1954 and 1984, when it launched four-year courses. The university now offers undergraduate, postgraduate and adult education courses. Previously Villa Julie College, it has been known by its current name since 2008.
Stevenson’s programmes provide students with a grounding in liberal arts but also maintain a career focus, preparing graduates for the jobs market.
Its Greenspring Campus, the first Stevenson site in existence, is 60 acres in size, mostly consisting of science labs and studios. It is located 15 miles north west of Baltimore, the state’s largest metropolis, a port city rich in culture, arts and sport.
Stevenson’s Owings Mills Campus, located six miles west, is the base of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies, the Brown School of Business and Leadership, halls of residence, sports facilities and other student-led activities. More than four in five Stevenson students are from Maryland, with just under half living on campus. Initially a religious institution, Stevenson, which was founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, became independent of the Catholic Church in 1967.