Saint Joseph’s University (SJU) is a private, Catholic university in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. The college was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus making SJU the seventh oldest Jesuit university in the USA. The first class of 30 men began their studies in September 1851 in a building adjoining Saint Joseph’s Church. In 1856 the college moved to a new campus but financial difficulties saw it return to the original buildings in 1860. After the civil war the college saw enrolment begin to rise and moved to a new campus in 1889. The university moved again, to an even larger campus in 1927 purchased with money raised in a fundraising drive. Student residences were added in 1943 and more were added throughout the 1960s as student numbers continued to rise. The university became coeducational in 1970 and the college became a university in 1978. Over the following years the university moved away from being a commuter school to a residential one with students from all over the USA attending and the campus, student body and academic curriculum all continuing to grow.
Today SJU is home to around 9,000 students from across the USA and beyond studying a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. There are over 200 majors and programs available across the university’s four schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the Haub School of Business, the Program of Professional and Liberal Studies and the Haub Degree Completion Program.
The campus covers 114 acres with collegate gothic buildings and green open spaces, there are many sports and recreational facilities available on campus.