Niigata University was founded in 1949 after the creation of a new Japanese education system.
The university was the result of a merger between seven separate schools and colleges. Niigata University can trace its origins back to 1870, when Kyoritsu Hospital, later Private Niigata Hospital, was built.
The Ikarashi campus of the university, which can be found south west of Niigata city centre, near the coast, houses colleges including the Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture and the Faculty of Humanities, along with the Central Library and the Health Administration Centre. It also includes most of the university’s accommodation and sports facilities, which include spaces reserved for baseball, rugby, football, tennis, athletics and equestrian.
The more central Asahimachi campus is home to the Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Dentistry, the latter of which was established in 1965. The emblem of the university is called "Rikka", and depicts the shape of a snow crystal.
Niigata city, located on the island of Honshū, has been an international port since 1858. It is also an important agricultural city. The Shinano River, the longest in the country, runs through the centre of Niigata, as does the Agano.
The city faces Sado-ga-shima, a spectacular island popular for its mountains, beaches and serene fishing villages. Travel to Tokyo, to the city’s south east, takes approximately two hours on the bullet train. The university is around an hour from Niigata Airport, which runs a small number of domestic and international flights.