The NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, was established in 1977 under an Act of the Provincial Assembly of Sindh. From the historical point of view, therefore, the university is fairly young. However, the NED Government Engineering College that originally formed the nucleus of the university was set up in 1922 and was thus the oldest engineering institution in Pakistan. This institution was initially founded as the Prince of Wales Engineering College to commemorate the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1921. The college was renamed the NED Engineering College in 1924 in memory of Nadirshaw Edulji Dinshaw, a well-known philanthropist, whose heirs made substantial donations to its development. After the creation of Pakistan, the government of the province of Sindh took over the management of the college in 1947, and renamed it the NED Government Engineering College, Karachi. A comprehensive plan was prepared in 1964 to shift the college from the downtown area to a new 40- hectare site adjoining the University of Karachi. The project was executed with assistance from the World Bank and the college moved to the new campus in 1975. The college was upgraded to the status of additional campus of the University of Karachi in 1976 and finally became a fully fledged engineering university in 1977.