The National University of Tainan (NUTN), in the urban East District of Tainan in Taiwan, is a public institution founded during Japanese rule in 1898, and known for its high academic achievements.
At the time of its founding, NUTN was known as Tainan Normal School, but in 1946 it was given the new name of Taiwan Provincial Tainan Normal School. After various permutations of the name as the status of the school was promoted, the current name was settled upon in 2004.
The university has five colleges: Education; Humanities and Social Sciences; Science and Engineering; Environmental Sciences and Ecology; and Performance and Visual Arts.
Devoted to promoting collaboration with universities worldwide, NUTN has signed agreements with universities in around 23 countries, to facilitate exchange of faculties, exchange of students, international academic conferences, joint research projects, overseas internships and double degree programmes.
There are four student dormitories to choose from, where rooms provide for four to eight people, with a lights-off at midnight rule (though reading lights are allowed).
Distinguished for its beautiful historic buildings, the campus has within reach all the cultural excitement of Tainan, the oldest city in Taiwan. Known for its history, the city is said to have over 500 Buddhist and Taoist temples and has eight first class National Historic Sites, including the Temple of the Five Concubines, the God of War Temple, and the Eternal Golden Castle.
Originating as an institution to train teachers and still retaining this strong focus today, its alumni include Tu Cheng-sheng, Taiwan’s former Minister of Education.