The National University of the South is the largest national higher educational institution in Southern Argentina, in the city of Bahia Blanca in Buenos Aires. Established in 1956 with a motto meaning "through the difficulties to the truth", this university has undergone several changes. Initially it was absorbed by the Technological Institute of the South, a former affiliate of the National University of La Plata before becoming the seventh national university created in the country.
The new institution organised its academic structure into departments offering programmes to more than 20,000 undergraduate students and about 1,300 graduate students. Currently, UNS has 16 different departments offering degrees in the fields of agronomy, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, computer science, economics, electrical engineering, engineering, geography, geology, humanities, law, management, mathematics, medicine and physics.
The main university complex located at Alem 1253, houses the central library as well as most of the departments and laboratories. There are other buildings at the same premises: At the intersection of 12 de Octubre and San Juan streets, are the buildings for the departments of humanities, economics, geography and tourism, and administration sciences. Meanwhile, in the area known as "Altos del Palihue" there is another complex where the departments of agronomy and law are located.
If you’re curious about the town itself – Bahia Blanca means "White Bay", a name given to the estuary due to the typical color of the salt covering the soil surrounding the shores. Ferdinand Magellan saw the bay during his first navigation journey in 1520. The city itself is a thriving and dynamic city with an architecture that features high-inherited value.