Established by Dr Teh-Ming Pao and Dr Ying-Chao Lee in 1957, Ming Chuan University was originally founded as Taiwan’s first women’s business school. The institution was founded on the principle of improving Taiwan’s prospects by educating a new generation of business professionals, as well as providing women with the opportunity to develop skills and careers in a patriarchal society. As it grew larger the university developed more faculties and in 1997 it was accredited by the Ministry of Education, becoming Ming Chuan University.
The university has had several locations in its short history but it is now primarily located in the Shihlin District of Taipei, with a number of smaller satellite campuses also being operated. The university is home to a large number of students, primarily undergraduates although Master’s and Doctoral Degree courses are also offered. There are nine major disciplines offered by the university – management, communication, social science, tourism, IT, health technology, law, design, and education and applied languages, as well as an international college.
The university is also a member of the Taiwanese U9 league, a group of well-known private universities first established in 2016.
The university celebrates its anniversary with an annual cheerleading competition between the various different departments, and teams are ranked by a group of judges with cash prizes available for the winners.
On the basis of an excellent reputation in the areas of economics, business administration and health, strengthened by law, social sciences, history and arts and philosophy, the Erasmus University Rot