Situated in Tehran, Iran’s capital city, since it was founded in 1928, K.N. Toosi University of Technology has become one of the country’s leading public universities for research and industry links.
Originally called the Institute of Communication, it became K.N. Toosi University of Technology after a merger of eight institutions in 1979, the year of the Iranian Revolution.
One of the many Iranian universities to be named after a public figure from the world of science and academia, its name refers to the 13th century scientist, philosopher and mathematician Khajeh Nasir ad-Din Toosi, one of the first to consider trigonometry as a separate discipline within mathematics.
The third most populous city in the Middle East overall, Tehran is also full of students and the main base of dozens of universities. With the Alborz Mountains to one side and desert to the other, it is little more than a stone’s throw from several sites of natural beauty. Inner Tehran is itself home to an excellent range of museums and art galleries, cultural hubs and varied cuisine.
Its five campuses are scattered across the city, and faculties include the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, the university’s oldest, and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. More recently, the university has also taught subjects such as computer science and engineering.
The youngest KNTU faculty is the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, which offers master's programmes in aerodynamics, flight dynamics, propulsion and aerospace structures. It launched the first ever master's programme in space machinery engineering in Iran in 2001.
In June 2007, the university's Faculty of Mechanical Engineering moved to its new campus and the faculty became independent from the other engineering departments.
An increasing number of links have been forged by K.N. Toosi University of Technology with overseas universities, from French and German institutions to those in Russia and the UK.