Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University formed in 1918 is based in Tbilisi in Georgia. It is the oldest university in Georgia, as well as the Caucasus region.
The main founder of the university was a Georgian historian and academic, Ivane Javakhishvili, alongside several scientists including Giorgi Akhvlediani, Shalva Nutsubidze, Dimitri Uznadze, and Grigol Tsereteli.
The university has five branches in the region of Georgia which include six faculties – including law, economics and business, humanities, medicine, and social and political sciences – 60 scientific-research laboratories and centres, a scientific library, seven museums and a publishing house.
With no central campus, the university buildings are spread over the city. The oldest building is where the administration of the university is seated, while the Pantheon of Tbilisi State University is one of the university's most important cultural and historical places.
The university is affiliated with foreign scientific and educational centres, which include the University of Saarland in Germany, Brunel University in the United Kingdom as well the Association of European Universities, UNESCO, and the Council of Europe.
The Mevlana Exchange Programme aims to exchange students and academic staff between the Turkish higher education institutions and the rest of the world.
The university offers various performing groups including the choreographic ensemble – a separate boys and girls vocal ensemble of Georgian traditional music, a student theatre and an annual student festival called ‘Eris Khma’ (the voice of the nation) with participants coming from various universities throughout Georgia
Notable alumni include former Prime Ministers Irakli Garibashvili, Bidzina Ivanishvili and Giorgi Arsenishvili, Tamar Beruchashvili, former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Georgia and Ana Dolidze, a notable activist.
Shantou University (STU), founded in 1981 with the approval of the State Council, is a key comprehensive university under the jurisdiction of the Guangdong Province and co-developed by the Ministry of