The Indian School of Mines (ISM) Dhanbad was established in 1926 to cater to the manpower needs of the coal and mineral industries. The academic profile of the institute has changed over the time to keep up with technological challenges and societal aspirations. The first phase of expansion began in 1950-51, when annual admissions increased from 20 in 1926 to 60. In 1957, new disciplines – applied geophysics and petroleum engineering – were added, increasing the intake to 100. In recognition of its vital role in the service of mineral exploration and the mining sector, ISM was granted autonomy in 1967 by the government of India. From 1975 to 2000, the second phase of expansion took place with the addition of the discipline of mining machinery engineering, mineral engineering, computer science and engineering, electronics, mechanical engineering, mathematics and computing, physics and chemistry. The third phase of expansion saw the addition of courses in electrical engineering, environmental engineering and chemical engineering, and civil engineering.