Gustavus Adolphus College is a liberal arts college founded in 1862 by Swedish immigrants to the USA. The college is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church and originally opened as a Lutheran parochial school before becoming the Gustavus Adolphus Literary & Theological Institute in 1873, named after the Swedish king. In 1876 the college moved to its current location in the town of St. Peter, Minnesota after the town offered it a grant of land and money. The institution is a college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Today the college educates its students across a wide range of subjects. There is a choice of over 70 programs across 24 different academic departments. The college also offers the innovative Three Crowns Curriculum which focuses on interdisciplinary study.
In 1963 the institution invited 26 Nobel laureates to attend the dedication ceremony of the college’s new Nobel Hall of Science. After the ceremony the annual Nobel Conference was established, an annual conference of science which takes place at the college under the Nobel name.
The campus covers 240 acres and features the college’s own farm, arboretum, art museum and library as well as student dining halls, residential facilities and sport and leisure services. The majority of students live on campus in halls or apartments, there is also the Carlson International Centre which is affiliated to the college’s Centre for International and Cultural Education. This centre coordinates the college’s study abroad programs and runs student services for international students studying at Gustavus Adolphus.