Chung Yuan Christian University (CYCU) was first established as Chung Yuan Christian College of Science and Engineering in 1955 by a group of Taiwanese and American educators looking to train emerging science and engineering talent.
The school was upgraded to a full university and renamed Chung Yuan Christian University in 1980.
The Taiwanese university has seven faculties with a particular focus on science, engineering, business, design and law remaining tight to its science and engineering roots.
The Office of International and Cross-Strait Education was set up by the university to engage in a variety of international affairs. It promotes exchanges of students with sister universities across the world, and provides services for international students preparing to study at CYCU.
The campus is located close to the train station which offers convenient travel to major cities while also based close to an array of shops, restaurants and night markets. It was the first university in Taiwan to receive full accreditation in Engineering Education from the Institute of EE Taiwan and has been awarded multiple grants and recognitions from Ministry of Education (MOE) & National Science Council (NSC).
CYCU is one of the recipients with top awards from China’s Ministry of Education’s (MOE) Excellence in Teaching Program; and in services, while Cheers magazine (a human resources magazine in Taiwan) ranked graduates from CYCU to be among the top three private universities as most wanted employees by the 1,000 businesses in Taiwan.
Notable alumni include Chang Fan, a former deputy minister of finance, Hwang Jung-chiou, chairman of Taiwan Power Company and former vice-minister of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, and Deng Feng-zhou, Chinese poet, local historian, and environmentalist.