Set up in 1957, Assiut University was Upper Egypt’s first university and is located approximately 375km south of Cairo. It is one of Egypt’s largest universities.
Comprising 16 faculties and three institutes, students can choose to study at the faculties of science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, commerce, education, law, physical education, nursing, education, social work, arts, computers and information or dentistry or the South Egypt Cancer Institute, technical institute of nursing or Sugar Technology Research Institute.
Bachelor’s degrees, distance learning, master’s degrees, PhDs and associate degrees are taught in Arabic, English, French or German.
It has two campuses, one near Assiut and another near the New Valley. On campus facilities include a fitness centre, library and health centre for students.
There are several hospitals affiliated with Assiut University including a children’s hospital, woman’s health hospital, urology and neurology specialist hospital, liver hospital and a neurology and psychiatry hospital.
The university logo is a coat of arms surrounding the sun disc which symbolises Ancient Egypt. The name of the university is written in normal Kufi script, to honour the Arab era.
Located in the capital of the Assiut province, Assiut City has a population of about 380,000 and has its own international airport. It is one of the oldest cities in the world, with evidence of culture, industry and arts dating back to 4000 BC. The province is mostly semi-desert territory with hot summers and cold winters and is known for its fertile land and rich resources.