Newcastle's famous bridges have a special significance for Sally Jane Norman, the new director of Newcastle University's Culture Lab. "I love them - they symbolise Newcastle's capacity to build linkages," she said.
The lab is a £4 million digital media facility for multidisciplinary research spanning science and the arts. "It is exactly the structure I have been dreaming about for some time," she said.
Her move to Newcastle follows five years as director of the Ecole Supérieure De L'image, in Angoulême and Poitiers, in France.
- Ella Ritchie has become pro vice-chancellor for teaching and learning. Formerly postgraduate dean of humanities and social sciences.
- Neil Ward , director of the Centre for Rural Economy. Formerly professor of human geography, Leeds University.
- Rolando Carrasco , chair of mobile communications in the School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering. Formerly professor of mobile computing, Wolverhampton University.
- Andrew Derrington , chair of psychology, brain and behaviour. Formerly chair in psychology, Nottingham University.
- Madeleine Atkins , pro vice-chancellor for teaching and learning. Now vice-chancellor of Coventry University.
- Steve Larter , professor of geology. Now research chair in petroleum geology at the University of Calgary, Canada.
- Peter Baylis , provost of the faculty of medical sciences. Retiring.
- Geoff Bailey , professor of archaeology at the School of Historical Studies. Now chair of archaeology, York University.
- Simon Caney , senior lecturer in politics. Now reader in political theory, Birmingham University.