The Higher Education Policy Institute/Higher Education Academy Student Academic Experience Survey 2014 suggests that first- and second-year university students surveyed in 2014 spent on average across all courses 88 minutes more studying privately each week than those surveyed in 2006.
The survey of 15,000 students also found that average scheduled contact hours across all courses have increased by an average of 24 minutes per week since 2006.
The survey was not conducted in 2008, 2010 and 2011 so data for these years are not available. A survey of 2,000 students was completed in 2009, but the sample is not comparable with those in other years, according to the associated report.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now