A 22-year-old man was arrested in New Jersey for assaulting 78-year-old Eli Wiesel, the Nobel laureate, during a conference in San Francisco. Eric Hunt is charged with attempted kidnapping, false imprisonment, elder abuse, stalking, battery and the commission of a hate crime. A posting claiming to be from the arrested man to an anti-Semitic website said the intention was to persuade the Boston University professor to say his Holocaust memoir was a work of fiction. Dr Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor, was not seriously hurt.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now