* York University has made the following appointments: Tom Fleming , former health, safety and environment manager at Loughborough University, becomes director of health and safety; Brian Porter , former director of advancement at Aston University, becomes director of development; David Dixon , managing director of Garbutt and Elliott Ltd and past chairman of York's audit committee, becomes treasurer; Christopher O'Donnell , chief executive of Smith & Nephew plc, has been nominated as chair of the university's council, to serve from August 1.
* John Madejski has been named the new chancellor of Reading University. Mr Madejski, 66, the chairman of Reading Football Club, will be formally installed at a ceremony in December. He succeeds Lord Carrington, who was appointed in March 1992.
* Nuffield Foundation fellowships have been conferred upon Jane Nolan and Malcolm Warner of Cambridge University to support their research in China. The project runs for three years from October.
* Andrew Gower has been appointed director of Canterbury Christ Church University's Broadstairs Campus. Dr Gower is a Christ Church graduate. Before his new appointment, he was the university's senior lecturer in music.
* The London Business School has appointed Rory Simpson associate dean of executive education. He joins LBS after nearly four years as vice-president Europe, Middle East and Africa for Thunderbird School of Global Management.