* William Rosenberg , currently professor of hepatology and director of the Wellcome Trust clinical research facility at Southampton University's school of medicine, has been appointed to the Richard Cristin chair in hepatology and deputy director of the Institute of Hepatology at University College London.
* Rosemary Auchmuty has been appointed as a new chair of Reading University's law school. She joins from Westminster University.
* Huddersfield University has appointed Andrew Ball , currently dean of the faculty of engineering and physical sciences at Manchester University, as pro vice-chancellor for research and enterprise.
* Emyr Jones Parry , the UK's permanent representative to the United Nations, has been appointed president of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, succeeding Elystan Morgan in January 2008.
* Damian Walford Davies , senior lecturer in the English department at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, has been appointed general editor for The Oxford Literary History of Wales .
* Ian Apperley , former adviser to Ken Livingstone and the London Assembly, has been appointed human resources director at the University of the West of England.
* Brian Anderson , professor of neuroscience at the Institute of Psychiatry, London, has been elected to the fellowship of the Academy of Medical Sciences. He is head of the department of neuroscience and director of the MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration Research.