* Glasgow University has appointed two honorary professors: Alan Clements , film-maker and media entrepreneur, will join the faculty of law, business and social sciences; and Kevin Murray , chartered town planner and urbanist, will join the department of urban studies.
* Peter Burkill , professor of ocean science at the Southampton University National Oceanography Centre, has been appointed director of the Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science and professor of ocean science at Plymouth University.
* Cambridge University has appointed Bill Adams to the Moran professorship of conservation and development. He is currently professor of conservation and development in the department of geography.
* Grenoble Graduate School of Business has appointed two directors: Phil Eyre , who has worked in EM Lyon, ESC Saint Etienne and ESC Chambery business schools, takes on the role of MBA programme director; and Patrick O'Sullivan , formerly at Cardiff University where he was director of the MBA programme, will be MIB programme director and the school's director of studies.
* Edinburgh University has appointed the following to professorships in engineering: Rebecca Barthelmie , formerly at the wind energy department at Risø National Laboratory in Denmark; Rebecca Cheung , formerly visiting scientist with the Mesoscopic Physics Group at Delft Institute of Microelectronics and Submicron Technology; and Andrea Schaefer , currently a researcher in environmental engineering at Wollongong University, Australia.