* Oxford University has appointed Jonathan Gershuny , professor of sociology and director of the Institute for Social and Economic Research at Essex University, professor of sociology and a fellow of St Hugh's College.
* Pietro Corsi , professor of the history of science at the University of Paris I-Sorbonne, has been appointed professor of the history of science at Oxford and a fellow of Linacre College.
* Robert Gildea , fellow of Merton College, Oxford, and professor of modern French, has been appointed to a university chair.
* Lesley Price , currently co-ordinator of English for Academic Purposes at University College London, has been appointed director of Sheffield International College, a collaboration between Sheffield University and Kaplan International Colleges.
* St John's College, Durham, has appointed David Wilkinson as principal, to succeed Stephen Sykes, ordained Methodist minister, who is retiring. Dr Wilkinson is currently the Wesley research lecturer in theology and science in the department of theology and religion, Durham University.
* Goldsmiths, University of London, has appointed Christopher Jonas as chair of council. He has been a main board director in the private and public sectors. He was involved in the development of Tate Modern and the English National Opera, where he chaired the London Coliseum Restoration Committee.