* Lora Nicolaou , director of urban strategies at the design consultancy DEGW, has been appointed head of research at Greenwich University's Urban Renaissance Institute at Medway.
* The University of East Anglia has appointed: Stephen Donaldson , former director of finance at Papworth National Health Service Trust, director of finance; and Peter Kopelman , former vice-principal and deputy warden of St Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, director of its Institute of Health.
* Robert Wright , former professor at Stirling University, has been appointed professor in the economics department at Strathclyde University's Business School.
* Philip Harvey , former deputy registrar and academic secretary at Exeter University, has been appointed registrar and secretary at Sussex University.
* Karl Leydecker has been appointed head of the School of European Culture and Languages at Kent University. He was previously head of the School of Languages, Cultures and Religions, and vice-dean of the faculty of arts, at Stirling University.
* Staffordshire University has appointed Ruth Chambers director of postgraduate general practice education at the West Midlands Deanery, the organisation responsible for the education and training of postgraduate doctors and dentists. She is a professor of primary care and clinical dean. It also appointed Celso Grebogi , former professor of physics at the University of Sio Paulo, Brazil, and professor of mathematics at Maryland University, professor of non-linear and complex systems. She will lead the Centre for Applied Dynamics Research.