* Andrew Haynes has been named visiting professor in education science at Beijing Normal University but will remain academic publishing director at Continuum.
* The Royal Academy of Music has announced a new University of London professor: James Watson has been head of brass since 2001 and has held principal trumpet posts with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, the Royal Opera House and the London Sinfonietta. He led the Philip Jones Brass ensemble and his conducting positions have included artistic director of Black Dyke Band.
* Bristol Business School, part of the University of the West of England, has appointed Keith Burton director of marketing communications. He is a former senior marketing lecturer, regional director for Europe at Harveys of Bristol, and vice-president, marketing, for Allied Domecq's brandies and fortified wine brands.
* Ulster University's School of Entrepreneurship has appointed Mike Johnston visiting professor. He was chief executive of the Dairy Council and completed a PhD at Ulster.
* Derrick Pounder , professor in the department of forensic medicine at Dundee University, has been named a member of the board of trustees of the United Nations Voluntary Fund for Victims of Torture. He will hold the position for three years.
* Aberdeen University has appointed Katia Sycara , to a part-time Sixth Century chair in computing science, which is part of the College of Physical Sciences. Professor Sycara works in the Robotic Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.