* Edinburgh College of Art has appointed Miles Glendinning director of the Scottish Centre for Conservation Studies, a post combined with postgraduate course leader in the masters programme in architectural conservation. He is head of architecture at the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
* The Royal Northern College of Music has appointed: Timothy Jones , head of the department of music at Exeter University, deputy head of undergraduate studies; and Nicholas Baragwanath , former senior lecturer in the School of Academic Studies, deputy head of postgraduate studies and research.
* Brighton University has appointed: Elizabeth Sanz , formerly of the Energy Saving Trust, head of marketing and communications; and Richard Spoor , former international officer at Greenwich Community College, deputy head of the international relations office. It has awarded professorships to: Alison Bruce , engineering; Graham Davies , pharmacy and biomolecular sciences; Charlie Hooker , arts and communication; Neil Ravenscroft , Chelsea School; and Peter Squires , applied social science.
* The European Business School, London has appointed John Ryan , former senior fellow at the Centre of European Studies, Bonn, course leader, global banking and finance; and Stephen Clay , former head of business studies at Princess Helena College, foundation programme co-ordinator.
* James Crabbe , professor of protein biochemistry at the Luton University, has been appointed dean of the faculty of creative arts, technologies and science.