* Southampton University's Winchester School of Art has appointed Bashir Makhoul its new head. The working artist was previously professor of art and design at Luton University.
* Nick Stokes , former marketing director of Lloyds Pharmacy, has been appointed director of marketing and communications at Coventry University.
* Peter Liss , professor in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia, has been appointed a member of the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution. He is also on the Working Group on Ocean Acidification and vice-chair of the Royal Society Global Environmental Research Committee.
* Greenwich University has appointed Philip Chambers , former head of major gifts at the British Heart Foundation, its first director of development and communications.
* Ian Taylor , head of procurement at HBOS and president of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, has been appointed director of the new Centre for Procurement Performance at the Department for Education and Skills.
* Kent University has appointed Don Gray professor of architecture and head of a new School of Architecture. He is a practising architect and was behind a millennium bid to freeze part of the Thames to replicate the Frost Fairs of the 17th and 19th centuries.
* Debby Shorley , university librarian at Sussex University, has been invested as the fourth president of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, by outgoing president Margaret Haines.