* King's College London has appointed: Martin Reavley, finance director with Kesa Electricals, first bursar; and Ian Thompson, dean of chapel at Selwyn College and chaplain of Selwyn and Newnham colleges, dean of chapel.
* Jim Franklin, former director of planning, policy and projects at Bristol University, has been named registrar at Luton University.
* Alpesh Patel, barrister, broadcast and newspaper journalist, has been elected to the board of governors at Luton.
* Liverpool University has appointed Trevor Bench-Capon, professor, chair of computer science; Mike Lehane, professor, chair of molecular entomology and parasitology; Paul Leng, director of the e-learning unit, chair of e-learning. Personal chairs have been awarded to: David Thompson, biological sciences; Derek Knottenbelt, veterinary clinical science; Richard Williams, earth and ocean sciences; Paul Losty, child health; and Richard Clark, haematology.
* The Centre for Criminal Justice Policy and Research at the University of Central England has appointed Mike King professor. He was previously with the department of criminology at Leicester University.
* Val McIver, Highland councillor and chair of the UHI Foundation, has been elected rector of the University of the Highlands and Islands.
* John Taylor, former director of the International Centre for Higher Education Management at Bath, has been named professor of higher education management and policy at Southampton University and director of the Centre for Higher Education Management and policy.