Health Professions Wales has appointed Hilary Neagle its chief executive. She was head of human resources at the National Health Service Wales.
* Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh has appointed: James Law, professor of language and communication science at City University, London, director of the Centre for Integrated Healthcare Research; and Maureen O'Neill, director of Age Concern, Scotland and Alan Gilloran, dean of QMUC's faculty of health and social sciences, co-directors with responsibility for academic research and policy formulation respectively.
It has appointed the following to its management team: Liam McCabe, former director of financial appraisal at the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council, director of strategic financial management and business services; Shawn Galbreath, director of development; and Jane Scott, director of marketing and communications.
* John Raven, of Dundee University, has been appointed chair of the Royal Society's working group on ocean acidification.
* Caroline MacDonald, assistant principal of Paisley University, has been appointed pro vice-chancellor (operations) and Mike Smith has been appointed pro vice-chancellor (academic) at Glasgow Caledonian University.
* Barbara Spruce, leader of the Translational Cancer Research group at Dundee University, has been appointed to the Scottish Science Advisory Committee.
* The Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and the governing body of the Roslin Institute have appointed Harry Griffin director of the institute.