* Royal Holloway, University of London, has appointed Rupert Gough director of choral music. He will take the lead in maintaining and developing the college's long-established chapel choir tradition.
* Leeds University has appointed: Anand Pillary , formerly at the University of Illinois, to the chair in mathematical logic; Chris Jones , formerly at Exeter University, to a chair in nonlinear dynamics in the School of Mathematics; Raphael Rouquier , formerly at the Institut de Mathematiques de Jussieu, in Paris, to a chair in representation theory; and Darren Schickle , former deputy head of public health at Sheffield University, to a chair in public health.
* Gwyneth Lewis has been named poet-in-residence at Cardiff University's School of Physics and Astronomy until Christmas 2005.
* Paul Dalton has been appointed pro vice-chancellor and dean of arts and humanities at Canterbury Christ Church University. Dr Dalton was formerly vice-dean of humanities at Liverpool Hope University.
* Richard Whitman , head of the European programme at Chatham House, has been appointed professor of politics in Bath University's departmentJof Europeanstudies and modern languages.
* University College Falmouth has appointed Jeremy Whitaker director of marketing and student recruitment. He was a visiting professor at Glamorgan University.