* Johanna Laybourn-Parry , professor of environmental biology at Nottingham University, has been appointed dean of natural sciences at Keele University.
* Philip Nelson , professor and director of Southampton University's Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, has been appointed deputy vice-chancellor of the university. He is a member of the Royal Academy of Engineering and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and was awarded the Rayleigh Medal by the Institute of Acoustics in 2002.
* The 3D Visualisation Group, a research team at the School of Theatre Studies at Warwick University, is moving to the Centre for Computing in the Humanities at King's College London. The group comprises Richard Beacham , professor and group director, Hugh Denard , Martin Blazeby and Drew Baker .
* Adrian Long , professor of civil engineering at Queen's University Belfast, has been elected fellow of the Transport Research Foundation.
* Kent Institute of Art and Design has appointed Oren Lieberman , formerly at Strathclyde University, to the post of professor of architecture/interiors at the Canterbury School of Architecture.
* Sir David Wallace , vice-chancellor of Loughborough University, has been appointed master of Churchill College and director of the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, at Cambridge University from August 2006.
* Wendy Purcell , pro vice-chancellor and dean of the faculty of applied sciences at the University of the West of England in Bristol, has been appointed pro vice-chancellor of Hertfordshire University.