* Glasgow University has appointed two creative writing tutors: novelist and former lecturer in creative writing at Leeds University Alan Bissett, who was shortlisted for the Macallan/Scotland on Sunday short story competition; and novelist Laura Marney, whose short stories have been published in magazines and broadcast on radio.
* Adrian Williams, personal chair of biophysical pharmaceutics at Bradford University, has been named director of pharmaceutics at the new School of Pharmacy at Reading University.
* Declan McGonagle, founding director of Dublin's Irish Museum of Modern Art, has been appointed to a chair in art and design and directorship of Interface (Centre for Research in Art, Technologies and Design) at Ulster University.
* John Mann, chair of biological chemistry and a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, has been named pro vice-chancellor for research and development at Queen's University, Belfast. He will succeed Roy Crawford, who has been appointed vice-chancellor of Waikato University, New Zealand.
* Sakai Shinichi, principal supervisor of banking, Hokkaido Local Finance Bureau, has been appointed visiting scholar in the School of East Asian Studies, Sheffield University.