This was attended by Ernest Major, warden of Carnegie College of Physical Training in Leeds, and by some of his students, who appeared in the rally pictured here along with other mementos of their visit.
Carnegie College was founded in 1933 with Mr Major as first warden. It closed during the Second World War for army use and reopened in 1946, when it grew to become perhaps the most important centre for the study of sport and sport science in the UK. In 1968, it merged with its neighbour, the City of Leeds College of Education, to form the City of Leeds and Carnegie College. The original swimming pool was restored, and major new facilities such as an all-weather running track were built. The new college in turn merged with Leeds Polytechnic in 1976 and so became part of Leeds Metropolitan University in 1992.
The Olympic material is now held in the university's archive and special collections.
Send suggestions for this series on the treasures, oddities and curiosities owned by universities across the world to: firstname.lastname@example.org.