NUS calls for checks on gas

November 29, 1996

THE National Union of Students is calling on universities and private accommodation agencies to redouble their efforts to ensure the safety of gas equipment after the death of another student from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

NUS officers have issued further warnings to universities and landlords after the death last week of 19-year-old Sonja Hyams, a biochemistry student at Keele University. Nine students have died from CO poisoning in the past four years.

The NUS is calling for more thorough checking of gas-fired equipment which can produce CO as a by-product if malfunctioning. It has highlighted the role that university accommodation offices and private lettings agencies can play in ensuring that landlords have had equipment certificated by registered Corgi engineers.

Some commercial agencies, such as Liverpool Student Homes, only advertise property if the landlords can produce proper certification for all gas appliances. The NUS cites the Liverpool company as an example of good practice.

Please login or register to read this article

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments