Key areas of research for the COAPEC programme include:
▪ observed characteristics of seasonal-to-decadal climate variability
▪ comparison of mean climate and climate variability simulated by a Coupled General Circulation Model with observations
▪ physical mechanisms that determine the mean climate and seasonal-to-decadal climate variability
▪ processes that determine the predictability of climate fluctuations in the Atlantic-European region
▪ bridging the gap between scientific output and societal needs.
The programme is committed to encouraging the training and development of young researchers in the field of coupled ocean-atmosphere science. In line with this aim the Steering committee has committed to funding two postdoctoral research fellowships under the NERC fellowship scheme.
The fellowships are open to researchers worldwide and provide funding for three years. This can be extended to five years, in competition with new NERC fellowships, under normal NERC procedures.