Bush appoints former football coach
George W. Bush has nominated a former athletic director and dean of Texas Southern University as his education secretary. Rod Paige took a doctorate in physical education at Indiana University before joining Texas Southern, a black university in Houston, as a football coach.
Protest threat after student leader arrested
Iranian students have threatened public protests if a leading member of the reformist student group Office for Fostering Unity is not released from Tehran's Evin prison. Ali Afshari was arrested on December 17 on charges of insulting Iran's leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in a speech delivered at a university in Tehran.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now