Landlord jailed for gas fume deaths

December 12, 1997

The landlord of a student house was jailed for two years this week after fumes from a faulty gas boiler killed one of his tenants. Peter Owen, 40, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Sonja Hyams, a 20-year-old biology and biochemistry undergraduate at Keele University. Four other tenants needed hospital treatment. Plumber Stuart Royle, 46, who fitted the boiler, was jailed for 18 months.

Please Login or Register to read this article.

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Register

Sponsored

Featured jobs

Partnership Manager

University Of Lincoln

Lecturer in Physical Geography, Teaching Focus

Royal Holloway, University Of London

Development Operations Manager

St Marys University, Twickenham

Chief Technician 

University Of The West Of Scotland