Our reporters are, of course, known fortheir ability to glide effortlessly around higher education soirees. But a few conversations at the party began very inaus-piciously. One journalist was heard introducing herself to Gary Day, principal lecturer in English at De Montfort University, and remarking that his name was familiar. Dr Day replied that it could be because he had been one of The Times Higher's columnists for the past two years.
Meanwhile, a reporter inquired of a senior academic how things were going at Birkbeck, University of London. "But I'm at University College London, what's Birkbeck got to do with me?" he replied. Hastily backtracking, the reporter asked him how work was going. "I'm recovering from a major operation." Ah - time to circulate.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now