Fact file

November 11, 2005

Canada has no federal ministry of education. Its ten provinces and three territories are responsible for all levels of education. A degree of co-ordination is achieved through the Council of Ministers of Education. www.cmec.ca

There is no formal accreditation system. Instead, membership of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada, coupled with a provincial government charter, is generally deemed the equivalent

There are 90 universities in AUCC. The official Study in Canada website www.studyincanada.com lists 148 undergraduate schools. More than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate degree programmes are offered in Canada as well as professional degree programmes and certificates

In 2004-05 there were 785,000 full-time university students, 0,000 part-time students and 37,000 full-time faculty members.

Some C$9.3 billion (£4.4 billion) was spent on university research in 2004-05 (35 per cent of total research spending).

Tuition costs averaged C$4,172 in 2004-05, with international student fees at about C$12,000 a year. Federal and provincial spending on all student assistance in 2003 was about C$4.4 billion

More information about studying in Canada can be found at www.livelearnandsucceed.gc.ca/LLSHome.aspx

UK passport holders do not require a visa but must possess a study permit to enter Canada as a foreign student (C$125 processing fee). Additional documents are required for Quebec ( Certificat d'acceptation du Québec )

Research bodies

National Research Council Canada: www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca

Canada Research Chairs: www.chairs.gc.ca

Canadian Institute for Advanced Research: www.ciar.ca

Canadian Research: www.canadianresearch.org
Back to Canada index page

You've reached your article limit.

Register to continue

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments

Most Commented

James Fryer illustration (27 July 2017)

It is not Luddism to be cautious about destroying an academic publishing industry that has served us well, says Marilyn Deegan

Jeffrey Beall, associate professor and librarian at the University of Colorado Denver

Creator of controversial predatory journals blacklist says some peers are failing to warn of dangers of disreputable publishers

Hand squeezing stress ball
Working 55 hours per week, the loss of research periods, slashed pensions, increased bureaucracy, tiny budgets and declining standards have finally forced Michael Edwards out
Kayaker and jet skiiers

Nazima Kadir’s social circle reveals a range of alternative careers for would-be scholars, and often with better rewards than academia

hole in ground

‘Drastic action’ required to fix multibillion-pound shortfall in Universities Superannuation Scheme, expert warns