Brussels, 25 Nov 2005
- The European Commission is to award the annual Descartes Prize for Research and the Descartes Prize for Science Communication.
- The Descartes Prizes for Research recognizes outstanding scientific work carried out by a multinational team of researchers. This year, 14 projects will compete for a €1.15m scientific award.
- The prize is open to teams from all fields of scientific endeavour and is awarded by the European Commission as part of its programme to increase contact between science and society.
- The Descartes Prize for Science Communication complements the Descartes Prize for Research. It seeks to reward outstanding achievements in the public understanding of science and to encourage young people to engage in scientific careers.
- Five finalists and five winners will share the €5,000 prize. All will have demonstrated the ability to communicate complex issues to a wide public, engaging all ages and backgrounds.
The winners of both Descartes Prizes will be announced at the Descartes Prize award ceremony hosted by the Royal Society in London on 1st and 2nd December 2005, with the participation of Janez Potoc(nik, Commissioner for Science and Research. Press conference with Commissioner Potoc(nik at 1300 on 1st December.
Antonia Mochan Tel:+32 2 296 9921;
Marilyn Carruthers Tel:+32 2 299 9451