* Sheila Drury, chair of the North Wales Regional Committee, has been appointed chair of the National Council of Education and Learning Wales.
* Judith Rowley will take over as president of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers. She has been joint branch secretary of the ATL for Cumbria since 2000.
* Three members have been appointed to the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council until July 31 2007. They are: Peter Holmes, professor and vice-principal (research) at the University of Glasgow; William Wardle, principal and chief executive of James Watt College of Further and Higher Education; and Stephen Logan, provost of the University of Aberdeen. Rowena Arshad, director of the Centre for Education for Racial Equality at the University of Edinburgh, has been reappointed until July 2007.
* Angus Donaldson, former director of property development, has been appointed director of estates at the University of Aberdeen.
* Guy Gregory, former head of personnel services at the University of the West of England, has been appointed director of human resources at the University of Bristol; Tania Rawlinson, former development director at University College Oxford, has been appointed director of campaigns and alumni relations.
* David Jamies, minister for transport, has appointed David Greenaway to head an independent review of the UK's system of motor insurance. Professor Greenaway is head of the School of Economics and director of the Leverhulme Centre for Research on Globalisation and Economic Policy at Nottingham University.