* Julian Jackson, professor at the University of Wales at Swansea, is to join the history department at Queen Mary, University of London.
* Christopher Pelling, fellow of University College London and lecturer in classical languages, will succeed Peter Parsons as the regius professor of Greek at Queen Mary.
* Dartington College of Arts has appointed: Annabel Arden, former senior fellow at the University of Cambridge, director/chair of theatre; and Emilyn Claid, research fellow with the Arts and Humanities Research Board, director/chair of choreography.
* Jill Moir, former public affairs officer at Aberdeen City Council, has been appointed head of communications at the University of Aberdeen.
* Monika Preutzel-Thomas, associate dean at Northumbria University, has been appointed dean of the School of Languages, Law and Social Sciences at Anglia Polytechnic University.
* Chris Strugnell, a senior lecturer at the University of Ulster, has been appointed chair of the Institute of Consumer Sciences.
* The Economic and Social Research Council has appointed former deputy director of the ESRC's politics, economics and geography group Adrian Alsop director of the research, training and development directorate; and Astrid Wissenburg, assistant director of information systems at King's College London, director of the communications and information directorate.
* Ashley Drake, managing director of two publishing enterprises, has been appointed director of the University of Wales Press.