* Paul Hunt , director of the University of Essex's Human Rights Centre, who has served on the United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights since 1999, has been appointed UN special rapporteur on the Right to Health.
* The University of Manchester has appointed the following: Valerie Wass , senior lecturer in general practice at the University of London, chair of community-based education; Anthony Bebbington , associate professor of geography at the University of Colorado, professor of management in international development from June 1; Risto Kauppinen , former professor of biomedical nuclear magnetic resonance imaging at the University of Juopio, professor of neuroscience; Daniel Everett , formerly professor of linguistics and anthropology at the University of Pittsburgh, professor of phonetics and phonology; Mark Dunne , professor of biomedical science at the University of Sheffield, professor of physiological sciences; and Giorgio Terenghi , reader in surgical sciences and director of the Blond McIndoe Centre at the University of London, professor of tissue engineering.
* University of Durham head of student marketing and recruitment Richard Taylor has been appointed director of marketing at the University of Leicester.
* John Phillips , professor of law and dean of the Law School at the University of Western Australia, has been appointed professor of English law at King's College London.
* Mohamed Branine , formerly at the University of Stirling, has been appointed chair of international human resource management at Abertay Dundee University.