ANDREW MARKS'S letter (THES, August 22) represented the right way to deal with Brand's stream of puerile nonsense - to demolish it by argument - but it was absolutely the wrong reaction to the news of Edinburgh's betrayal of intellectual life. For a university to dismiss one of its members purely for putting forward an argument is to show a complete absence of faith in the very foundations of any university's existence. Brand's self-dramatising will be greatly strengthened by this action; the position of Edinburgh University will be immeasurably weakened.
Department of mathematics University of York
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now