Brussels, 18 Nov 2005
Opening of the 23rd Solvay Conference in Physics
- Marc HENNEAUX (Solvay Institutes and ULB, BE)
- David GROSS, 2004 Nobel Laureate (Kavli Institute, USA)
- Michael ATIYAH, 1966 Fields Medal (University of Edinburgh, UK)
- Robert BROUT, 2004 Wolf Prize (ULB, BE)
- François ENGLERT, 2004 Wolf Prize (ULB, BE)
- Murray GELL-MANN, 1969 Nobel Laureate (Santa Fe Institute, USA)
- Stephen HAWKING, 1988 Wolf Prize (University of Cambridge, UK)
- Gerard 't HOOFT, 1999 Nobel Laureate (Spinoza Institute, NL)
- Steven WEINBERG, 1979 Nobel Laureate (University of Texas at Austin, USA)
- Frank WILCZEK, 2004 Nobel Laureate (MIT, USA)
- Shing-Tung YAU, 1982 Fields Medal (Harvard University, USA)
1 December 2005, 12:00-13:00 – Press Conference
Hôtel Métropole, Place de Brouckère, 1000 Brussels
The 23rd Solvay Conference in Physics will take place in Brussels, from December 1 through December 3. Entitled "The Quantum Structure of Space and Time", the Conference will address one of the greatest challenges of present-day fundamental physics i.e. to reconcile the two conceptual revolutions of the 20th century: Einstein general theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.
The Conference will be chaired by David Gross, 2004 Nobel Laureate in physics. Following the tradition initiated by H.A. Lorentz and continued by the other distinguished physicists who chaired the Solvay Conferences after him (P. Langevin, W.L. Bragg, R. Oppenheimer, L. Van Hove to name a few), a large part of the 23rd Conference will be devoted to discussions.
By bringing regularly to Brussels the leading scientists working in physics and chemistry, the renowned "Conseils Solvay" have shaped – and still shape – modern science. There is no other conference series in the world with a comparable record.
In the presence of His Royal Highness Prince Philippe
On Thursday December 1, the opening session of this Conference will be held on the historical importance of the Solvay Conferences, from 8:30 till 10:30. It will be presented by the renowned historian of science Peter Galison (Harvard) in the presence of His Royal Highness Prince Philippe. If you wish to attend, please tick the corresponding box in the enclosed confirmation of attendance form.
Lunch with the participants
After the press conference (His Royal Highness will not be present during the press conference), you can have lunch with the participants (13:00 – 14:00). A brief presentation of each of them will be sent later but let us already mention the presence of Brian Greene (author of "The Elegant Universe"), Thibault Damour, Gabriele Veneziano etc. If you are interested, please let us know.
Public event – December 4
For the very first time in its history, the Solvay Conference will open its doors to the public. A half-day event will take place in Brussels on 4 December. During this afternoon, the public will have the possibility to follow talks given by famous scientists, to meet Nobel Prize Laureates and to ask their questions about the Universe. People can register and ask their questions through the website: http://www.europa.eu.int/solvay2005