Our sixth Books podcast features Richard J. Williams, author of Sex and Buildings: Modern Architecture and the Sexual Revolution, this week’s Times Higher Education Book of the Week.
The University of Edinburgh professor of contemporary visual cultures is in conversation with THE’s books editor, Karen Shook. They discuss Williams’ scholarly – and admittedly personal - search for the places form meets libido.
His quest took him from the stern streets of Morningside to Brazilian love hotels, Frankfurt’s executive urinals and an odd evening in Wilhelm Reich’s orgone accumulator, via Mad Men and the ‘brick dick’, and ending up in the home of ‘pornomodernism’, Los Angeles.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now