I've spent the majority of my adult life in Russell Group universities unaware of anyone, even in the darkest parts of "the tower", who was not committed to a higher education system that serves the needs of our society. Then along comes Alan Sked with his insulting and ill-informed comments about the motivation, intellectual capacity, boredom threshold and aspirations of thousands of new university students and his unhelpful suggestion that we "close a number of the new universities".
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now