I note that in his work on the use of colons ("Colonic information", 28 February) James Hartley has adopted the appalling American convention of following a colon by a capital letter. I note that you have not followed him in your leader in the same issue, and trust that you will continue to use English English.
Ron Johnston, University of Bristol.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now