Kevin Sharpe's opinion piece raises some hugely important issues and promotes the idea of an Institute of Advanced Studies ("We need a flagship to lead the humanities fleet to fighting fitness", 19 June). It is a view to which I give my wholehearted support. There are certainly possibilities to seek assistance from large corporate partners or to approach large foundations that operate internationally. It comes down to getting the leadership right, and to "thinking big" indeed.
Dina Iordanova, Professor of film studies, University of St Andrews.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now